Sunday, August 24, 2008

That's the final whistle Part 1

So here I am just getting ready to go to sleep and checking up some blogs then I saw Ian's blog and realised, alamak, although I'm not the mushy mushy kind of person like I'm, still must write something about him la.

So to Ian, haha, well what can I say man. Its been one heck of a time and one heck of an experience. And erm.. well, you get me... Thank you very much.

Anyway, was feeling all sentimental and emotional on Friday because it was the last day of school and I woke up that morning, feeling all that emotions and memories.

I can still remember vividly the memories 12 years back, a little boy wearing dark blue shorts and white shoes walking in to primary 1M of Chung Hwa Presbyterian School. Feeling slightly nervous, don't know how to speak and read and write a lot of Chinese. My parents were standing outside, settling all the admin matters and paying money and buying books. But through all that I put on a brave face and found a seat in class beside a boy called Lok Kah Beng. Yes! I absolutely remember his name. Lost contact with him since primary 2 though. After that during recess, Dad brought me to the canteen and bought me a packet of Vico chocolate drink, then he brought me to the toilet to show me where the toilet was. After that went back to class and met Xiuling and her Mum. And her mum said something stupid about the both of us to my parents and that stupid comment has stuck me with for the rest of my life. And then it was about 9am then Mum said Dad had to go to work and there were going to leave. Yes, I was slightly scared and nervous but still put on a brave face. The rest of the day passed in a blur.

Primary 1 passed quickly. I remember getting caned by mum for getting 98 for my Chinese. Because I made a careless mistake and connected the lines to the pictures wrongly and got deducted two marks for that. Because of that, I didn't win first prize for that year. Lost to Xiuling and got second prize. Weilun was third. I remember the day I came to school during the school holidays to collect the prize. Drawing teacher's twin daughters got some top student award on that day. I recall vividly.

Primary 2 I was in 2K, I remember the first day of school. Dad was in the car telling me. Well, 1 year older now. I hope you are 1 year wiser and with that piece of advice, I got down the car and started primary 2 life. My classroom was upstairs on the second floor and I was feeling proud about it. I remember I wasn't very very early for school that day so there wasn't enough tables and chairs for everybody so I had to wait and stand at the back of the class while the teacher went to look for tables and chairs. The guy standing beside me was Yam Herring Ping (his name is spelled that way). Lost touch with him after that year. Anyway he was rather friendly and we chatted a bit. And with that, Primary 2 passed with a blur though there was this incident of me acting hero and climbing onto the school roof to help me friend retrieve his pencil which he had dropped earlier in the day.

Primary 3 I was in 3K. Best form teacher I every had. Madam Kong. Remember driving her red van to school. She was the one that taught us with so much dedication and helping us get through our PTS exams. I was recommended by her for the prefectorial post. 3K was famous as the class that had 50 pupils squeeze into it. So a prefect I became. And I would have to miss recess to go guard the queues. And I had the resposibility of delievering test papers to the venues. When teachers were having meeting I had to go guard the classes. (Now that I think of it, its kinda stupid). Anyway, it was great fun. When I didn't feel like going for classes. I would purposely walk in a zig zag manner across school. Primary 3 was also when Miss Kam, the English HOD begun to take notice of my English skills. And as a result, I ended up on the school's English quiz team as the youngest member. And we were the champions of the Muar division. Took my PTS exams at the end of the year. And my GOD we did a heck of a job. Almost 90% passing the exam. So we all skipped a year to Primary 5.

Primary 5 I was in 5K and was special because classrooms were at the topmost floor which used to the the school hall. But due to space constrains, they put of partitions in the long hall and turned it into a few classrooms. Mr Yap was my form teacher. This was the first year I wasn't in the top class because they assumed PTS students were not as bright so they put us together with some zapalang students but these zapalang people were great fun. I remember this tall girl who was from some Malaysian youth badminton team and most importantly I remember Lau Weng Keong. The guy who taught me all the nonsense and kinda shaped me into the person I am today. All those diry stuff. I learnt it all from sitting beside him.. Gosh... And I was selected to represent the school in the English essay writing competition and was champion of Muar division. I was also a member of the English choral speaking team and we made it to the state level before losing to Convent Johor Bahru. But those times travelling out of town with friends to compete were fun. Chances were few and far between.

Primary 6 I was restored back to the top class, 6M. So my classes in primary school was M,K,K,K,M. Got head got tail. Anyway all the brightest were in one class. And I was somehow elected to be chairman of the English society although I've never attended a single meeting. My essays appeared in the school's English magazine publication the Beacon. And when I met Miss Kam over the holidays, she said students nowadays continue to read my essays and photocopy my textbooks. Haha. Sort of like an inspirational figure. But having mentioned that, my Chinese was totally crap. I was still speaking like an angmoh. Anyway, I barely won the English essay competition because I made the mistake of calling the dog He instead of It. Got deducted a whole chunk or marks but still scrapped a first place. Got selected by the teacher to take part in some music competition. It was quite a joke. There was a singer, a keyboardist and Lisa and me playing the violin. We had to play some national patriotic songs. It was a joke because I remember looking at Lisa's score and a lot of notes in her part were too low for the violin but she was somehow faking through. And when we went for competition, a lot of Malay school sent totally music noobs there and they had numbers drawn onto the keyboard keys and they owned us with rock songs and all that crap. I was a nice experience though. I remember momentarily having an infatuation for the singer although she was a year older than me. I was also like a small team leader in the prefectorial board. Kinda like the second in hierachy. I still have my primary 6 photo hidden somewhere. I'll post it after the A levels when I'm even more sentimental. With that I graduated from Primary school. Although we performed very very badly for our primary school leaving UPSR exams, I'm still glad we've been there and seen it all. I didn't get straight A's for that exams. Instead getting 6As and 1 C. C for chinese essay. After appeal for rechecking it was changed to a B but that doesn't mean much anyway.

In primary school, girls were still kinda la aliens from the opposite side. Like EEEeee, yucks kind of people. Haha..


Anyway, its getting late. I shall name this part 1 of school life. The first 5 years out of 12 years. I shall continue with the story tomorrow.

2 sketches:

Katie ♥ said...

oh my GOD you know lau weng keong. i hated him during form 4 and form 5! and the guy's name is yam HERNG ping not yam herring ping la.

AndrewC said...

Hey, didn't know you read my blog. Ya, he taught me all the nonsense about boobs, dicks and what nots. Haha. Yeah, I realised that. Type error.

Post a Comment

speak your mind