Sunday, April 8, 2007

Dear Diary......

Hello to whoever is going to read my blog....Greetings from the tiny red dot in the world map that is Singapore.
I can't believe how fulfilling today has been,oh its Easter Saturday btw although i don't celebrate it but is supposed to be the day Christ was Resurrected. Anyway, woke up at 11am traveled all the way to Woodlands, visited my aunt and grandma. The usual yada,yada. Eat more, eat more they say. U are too thin and dark!!! Fat and unfit is my reply.. Read the usual newspaper. Mel calls to ask if Audrey called... (How quaint) No, Audrey didn't call. (She's my music teacher btw). Audrey decides to spend dinner with her beloved husband and ffk (fong fei kei) at the last minute (well actually 3 hours before) so I tell Mel okay then. I'll eat dinner myself. Mel says NO!!! I'll be alone. So there goes my budget out of the window and I say okay then I'll meet up with u for dinner. City Hall 6pm Mel says.
After more snacks, I finally got out of my aunt's place on my way to City Hall. The rain is pouring like crazy. Just hoping it will be the same at Sepang to spice up the F1 race a bit. Reach there, Mel's late. Caught side of her. Decides to eat Ichiban Boshi (yet again, I'm becoming their VIP customer). The queue is so long. Walks out to that dunno what food court beside Esplanade, and lo and behold all the tables are wet. The dry ones are taken DUH!!! Jay walk across the road to Marina Square. Mel is scared of jay walking btw but too bad cos today she's hangin out with a true blue Malaysians and if u don't jay walk (especially below a pedestrain bridge or before the traffic lights), you are not a Malaysian :-D
Eats dinner. Mel buys this Chee Cheong Fun ( which reminds me of Alan Chee) that she can't finish which I half finish for her (its delicious so I didn't really mind). We rush to Esplanade 5 minutes before concert with Audrey not looking too happy. Shakes hand with Mr. Soh and proceed into the concert hall, we get really great seats in front of the stage.
Now the exciting part begins....
I guess I can call the Yong Siew Toh Orchestra the PRC Orchestra. I mean its like almost every single member is from that big country up there. Anyway, YST is good. Their music is good. Didn't quite understand the Bloch Concerto Grosso initially but Qin Li-Wei playing Tchaikovsky's Variations on a Rococo Theme was so good. His intonation was perfect (though Mel said one note was out of tune). His expression and phrasing was great. The sound was great too. 3 encore pieces, thats like a record number for me. A Gavotte by can't-hear-what-he-said, a Bach piece and Prokofiev's March....Superb is all I can say. He really is good. Proko's Romeo and Juliet Suite was powerful I would say. When the whole orchestra entered it was like so mind blowingly loud and powerful it blew me out of my seat. The strings section top form. Ting Kai said the final cadence the flutist was doing circular breathing but apparently he screwed it up. Mel said there was an instrument out of tune/ wrong intonation. Listening to music really is different sitting beside experts... Anyway, the encore piece was even better. It was POWERFUL!!!! It even had my tiny hairs around my arms and neck standing up. It was Edward Elgar's Pomps and Circumstance No.1. The percussion, strings, brass were just so GOOD!!!! As an Englishmen myself, I just wanted to stand up and do the half squat action they always do at the Proms. I felt this was even more powerful than the BBC Symphony recording that I heard. One day I'm going to the Royal Albert Hall to catch a glimpse of the Last Night. The second theme is like stuck in my head now. I feel very proud to be and Englishmen with all these great music. La, lalalala, Laaaaa, Laaaaaaaaaaaa. WOWOWOWOWOWWWWWW!!!!! So high.
Its already 4am. Completed that stupid Vivaldi homework. Going to try to sleep. Its like so sticky hot. Take another bath??? I wanna be in the SNYO!!!! I wanna be a pro violinist!!! Please support me!!!

1 sketches:

Copykate said...

too thin and dark? dun make me laugh XD yes, u r more like fat and unfit. kekeke
EnglishmEn? ehemm. . . u r?

Post a Comment

speak your mind